Implementing the IFSP:
Page 8 of 9
Early intervention supports and services for
Jenni and her family
Review the entire video clip about Jenni and her family from Just Being
Kids (each Local Infants and Toddlers Program in Maryland has a copy of
the video and facilitators manual). Jenni, an engaging 2 ½ year old
girl, lives with her parents, Gloria and Fermin, her two brothers and another
family of five. She loves playing, reading, singing and being with the older
children. Jenni has delays in her ability to walk unassisted and in her
expressive language due to diplegic cerebral palsy. Since she also had a
baby to care for, Gloria’s primary goal was for Jenni to walk independently
in and out of their home.
After watching Jenni’s entire vignette, discuss how your Infants
and Toddlers Program could assist this family. In “real” life,
Jeannemarie, a physical therapist, served as the the primary service provider
for Jenni; ---- consulted with Jeannemarie and Gloria about prompting Jenni’s
communication with her family.
Consider the following questions with colleagues and family representatives
(e.g. your family network coordinator and invited family members from your
- What functional outcomes have Gloria
and Fermin selected to work on with Jenni?
- How will the early intervention team know that they have achieved
this outcome? (Suggest measurable criteria this team might use to review
- What informal and formal family/child supports and services would be
helpful in assisting this family to reaching their outcome for Jenni?
- If formal early intervention supports/services from your Infants and
Toddlers program are desirable, who on the team has the expertise to
address these outcomes?
- How do Jeannemarie and --- use their expertise to support all family
members? What are their suggestions for promoting Jenni’s ability
to walk independently and communicate with her family? What other strategies/suggestions
might you suggest?
- How are key early development foundations (i.e., social interaction,
mastery of the environment and engagement in learning) addressed in these
outcomes as well as suggested strategies?
- How frequently, and for how long will formal early intervention family/child
supports and services be provided?
- Where will family/child supports and services will be provided?
Website designed and hosted by:
The Center for Technology in Education (CTE)
Johns Hopkins University Copyright 2003